Tuesday, October 12, 2010

What would I like to see?

I want my blog entries to be thought-provoking and to stimulate interesting discussions. With that goal in mind, here are a few things I want and some groundrules I will have for comments:

  • I more than welcome disagreement and correction. If you can point out where I make a factual error or other type of mistake, and if I can see clearly that you're right, I'll acknowledge it
  • The first rule for comments is this: you're entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts. This is a well-worn phrase that many of you may be sick of hearing, but, unfortunately, needs repeating due to many insisting on using their own facts. So try to use at least a modicum of sound logic in your comments, or expect an intellectual thrashing
  • I'm not an absolutist against pejoratives, but if I see that a personal attack is just that and adds nothing to the discussion, that comment will be deleted. Know the difference between "That's not true and you're being an idiot for even suggesting that" and "You're just an idiot" and not offering anything substantive
  • Racist, sexist, and homophobic comments will be summarily deleted.
  • Spam will be dealt with harshly
  • If I suspect trollish behavior in your comments, kiss your commenting privileges goodbye
  • Posting on here is a privilege, not a right.
  • If/when I sense that the discussion in comments is nothing more than going around in circles, I will close the comments

No comments:

Post a Comment